If you want more of an open experience for your cat when you are riding with them than a pet seat is a perfect way to do this.
What Is A Cat Car Seat?
These are a type of cat carrier but they are more open and without a top. They let your cat be more open and they are attached top a strap that is on the carrier keeping your cat out of trouble. Most of these have a foam bolster that has a fabric cover which is machine washable and they have a plush inside. Some of them are made of plastic as well they also can be raised or they sit lower.
Some of these also have side pockets to store things like food or water and even cat toys. They can also have mesh on them so your cat can stay cool in the car. Some of the straps I find to not be as secure as I would like because they can easily rip since they are just barely stitched on or they are in odd spots of the car seats like under the padding. This can be bad if you crash your car. What I like to do is use instead is a pet seat belt strap which you can get here “Vastar 2 Packs Adjustable Pet Dog Cat Car Seat Belt Safety Leads (click here for the amazon link)” though some of them don’t need it.
Why Get A Cat Car Seat?
If you don’t really want to enclose your cat in a carrier so they can see whats going on outside and you want to make the experience for them more enjoyable or you want to make the car ride more safe for them then these would be great reasons. these can also aid in motion sickness because your cat has the ability to see out the window. your cat can also use it to sleep in which can be nice as well. It can also keep cat hair off your seats opposed to if you were to go with just get a regular seat belt strap.
Another thing I should note is that your cat might have to get used to riding with you in the car before you can use this car seat effectively as cats can easily get scared in the car.
1: PetSafe Happy Ride Booster Seat
Out of all the cat car seat carriers this is the one that I liked the most just because its the most secure and its made the best out of all the car seats here. you can also raise it so your cat can see outside the window.
- Very secure to the seat
- Keeps your pet safe from car crashes
- Can hold up to 12 to 25 pounds depending on the size you get
- Allows you to adjust the height of the the seat
- Comes in Brown, Navy and Tan
- Easy to setup
- Virtually no cons
2: Pettom Pet Car Seat Carrier
This is also a great car seat that I have used. Its great because its secure and has a lot of pockets that you can put things in
- Good value for the money
- Pockets and mesh ventilation
- can fit pets up to 15 pounds
- Comes in Grey and Khaki
- Secure and doesn’t wobble
- Comes in small (15”L×12.5”W×9.5”H) and large (16 L x 13.5 W x 12 H)
- Material can potentially rip easy for some people
- Not good for a cat that likes to chew things
- Material smells funny before use
3: K&H Pet Products Bucket Booster Car Seat
This car seat has some drawbacks but its one of my favorites that I have used. K&H makes great products and has 20 years of experience making pet products.
- Quick Installation
- It comes in Grey, Realtree EDGE Camo and Tan
- Comes in small 14.5 x 20 and large 14.5 x 24
- Sits very high up so your cat can see what is outside your car window
- The price tag is a little steep
- It can be wobbly
- The strap isn’t as secure as I would like it
4: Pet Gear View 360 Pet Carrier
I like this one a lot because it multi-functional and it has mesh all over to keep them cool
- Great value for the money
- You can use this as a car seat and a cat carrier in one
- its made of meshComes in Aqua, Black, Floral and Midnight River
- You can buy replacement pads here
- Can smell funny out of the packaging
5: SWIHELP Car Booster Seat
This is a great choice if you want something that works well but you are on a tight budget.
- Very price conscious
- Made out of high quality waterproof 600D oxford, nylon belt, antirust D ring, PVC mesh net
- Sizing is 40 X 32 X 24 cm
- Can handle a 14 pound cat
- Straps wrap around the car seat head rest
- foldable when not in use
- Paw pattern design might not be for everyone
6: Kurgo Rover Booster Car Seat
This is another great cat car seat because of how long it lasts. Kurgo guarantees that the product will last for life.
- Comes in Black/Blue, Black/Orange, Charcoal/Chili Red, Heather Grey, Heather Khaki
- Adjust the height to allow your cat to see out the car window
- Built to last for life
- Dimensions are 12″D x 16″W x 8″H
- Virtually no cons
7: Pet Gear Dog & Cat Bucket Seat Booster
If you want something that holds multiple cats this would be a good choice to go with. Its also very sturdy which is something that I like.
- Holds multiple pets
- Comes in Jaguar, Chocolate and Fog
- Sizing comes in 17 and 22 inches
- Very sturdy so it doesn’t wobble around
- Design might not be to your liking since its heavy plastic
- Has a California cancer warning
8: HDP Deluxe Lookout Dog, Cat & Small Animal Booster Car Seat
This is another great cat car seat that you could go with. It has a very nice design, built very well and has pockets to put things in.
- Comes in Pink, Red, Black and Blue
- Dimensions are measured at 14.2 x 9 x 14.2 inches; folds to 2.5 inches for easy storage
- Can Hold up to a 20 pound cat
- Made out of a 600 denier polyester
- Strap goes around the headrest
- Can potentially fall apart after time but not always the case
9: Kurgo Journey Booster Seat
This is a great cat car seat because its waterproof and made out of a ripstop fabric with a cross-hatched weave.
- Can hold very heavy cats (up to 30 pounds)
- Secured by the headrestvery box secure design
- Made out of a ripstop fabric with a cross-hatched weave
- Price is on the higher end
- Lack of colors to choose from
- Not as aesthetically pleasing as I would like it
10: Kurgo Skybox Booster Seat
- Comes in a nice black/orange/white color
- Handles cats up to 30 pounds
- Machine washable lining
- Collapsible when not in use
- Very easy to install
- Virtually no cons
Overall, any of these would be a great choice to go with just make sure they fit your specific needs since things like sizing, material and design matter. If you want your pet to be safe while you are on the road these are a great thing to invest in. If you need a harness to go with the car seat I have an article on that you can read here “Best Cat Harnesses You Can Buy“.